[rescue] Multia UDB

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Jun 20 13:49:48 CDT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Yup, plain old heat death....  :-)
>
> (I need a finer tip for my soldering iron too before I can fix them.)

Ah. I knew it had to be something.

I should pick up some Ramsey kits at the Hamfest; I need to work on my SMT
soldering skills, especially since I don't need them for work anymore. 8-)

> (one of my colleagues has another that's still in running condition,
> with lots of RAM in it too, and I should probably ask him if he's ever
> going to be using it again....)

Supplant the fan and cut the yellow lead. They do *much* better with 2x
the airflow.

> 64MB supposedly makes a Multia into nice diskless workstation w/NetBSD.....

Didn't think of that. I haven't tried Netbooting an Alpha (I've heard it's
not that easy); I've netbooted Xyplex terminal servers and PCs before,
however. At $ORK[-1], I was going to netboot a Netra T1 105 and would
have, except I knew I had a XM-3401 at home that would do 512b sectors.
That Netra was a dead sexy 1RU server; built better than most 1RU Intel
boxes I know of and actually fits the rack, too. I will be netbooting an
SS2 eventually; I have two carriers and connectors and all for the drives,
but I have two SS2s that need them and some drives.

> My CMD CRD-5500 RAID controllers needed the RAM more than the Multias
> :-) They could even use more (or a _lot_ more even).

*blink*. Hrm. My HPNetRAID (AMI MegaRAID) could probably use one of those
SIMMs. No' gonna do it though. Alpha is waaay too slow with 24MB instead.