[rescue] home "server rooms"

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Jun 20 10:28:48 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 11:11, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Do you need extra 10Mbit ports, even if it's by hubs?

Well I need to take inventory first.

The last time I got a big load like this I wasn't prepared for it.
Literally, I was called on the phone and told "Come get this stuff
now."  I still don't have a proper inventory of that.

Now with this new stuff coming in, I really need to beef up my
infrastructure.  I'm going to have OpenNMS running here to poll all of
the machines that are meant to be up all the time, so it will report any
problems to me proactively.  I also need to set up some sort of RDBMS to
inventory all of the parts floating around for those inevitable "Do you
have an NVRAM for Sparc IPX...".  If nothing else, it would be fun I
think to put up a dynamic web site that shows all the crap running on my
home network as the collection grows & shrinks.

I can't even consider powering all of these on without significantly
upgrading my home power distribution, HVAC (it is hot & humid in Durham,
North Carolina) and maybe even getting under the house and bolstering
the floor under my office with a foundation jack or two.

Once I've got a better idea of what I have (and what I *want* to have
running) I'll have a better idea of how many more ports I need.