[rescue] Using you SGIs: Wings3D

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:18:25 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:13:08AM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:08:29AM -0400, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:
> >>Distributed rendering support?
> >
> >This is just a modeller, not a scene composition, animation, whatever
> >tool. As such it does not support distributed rendering.  But, you can
> >export your models as .rib, .3ds, .ngo, and .obj formats for easy
> >import into whatever program you desire, such as blender, kpov, moray,
> >etc.
> >
> Since it exports .rib files, you can use BMRT to render the files and
> rsh/ssh to distribute the rendering. It's not pretty, but I have done it
> and it works.
>
> If you want a quick and dirty prebuilt set of scripts let me know.

I thought BMRT came with a premade distributed renderer manager...  I
could be wrong.

It still is the case that Wings3D has nothing to do with this, which
is just as well since you aren't going to get the greatest of pictures
without texturing and layout first.

Actually, I have the source code for a half decent texturing program.
I'm trying to port it to fltk and linux (MFC and Windows at the
moment), then I want to add support for multiple maps and more
flexible brush engine (at the moment it has basically an airbrush and
nothing else).

Currently semi decent layout programs are a dime a dozen.  Most of
them will do texturing, but often only simple mappings (like project,
spherical, cylindrical, etc), whereas UV mapped and hand paint always
has kinda nice results.

--
Joshua D. Boyd