[rescue] home "server rooms"

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Jun 20 07:16:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:
> > Any of y'all have pictures of your home server rooms?  I'm trying to get
> > some ideas for organization.  My computer count is about to jump from
> > ~125 to over 200 in the next few days and I desperately need to start
> > seriously racking these, setting up terminal servers, etc.

Good god man! How does anyone one person accumulate *200* machines? That's
not a hobby -- that's a full-fledged side venture. You'd need a big barn
to hold all that stuff!

> > Now I got so much free stuff I have to go through the pain of the
> > electrical wiring, insulation, HVAC, etc.  Not to mention finding ~200+
> > ethernet ports.  I can get to maybe 50 ports with the kit that I've got
> > now but unfortunately you don't see many Cisco 6509's in the dumpster.

Mike Dombroski(sp?) has a 108-port 10Mb hub. It uses RJ21 (Centronics 50)
connectors.

> http://cellblock5.com/~mac/pictures/PDC_0635.jpg
>
> Unorganization at its best. :)

I'd post something but I just got my rack home from B'ham and have yet to
repopulate it. Now I have rack screws, however -- and the right kind! (yay
-- no more retapping!)

So much to do.. Still haven't totally emptied my appartment.