[rescue] OpenBSD on Sparc

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 19 22:53:40 CDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 23:56, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> Charles Redmond said:
> > I speak as a user of both systems. Personally I have a preference
> > for OpenBSD on Sparc's and NetBSD on Alpha's. I have no idea of the
> > useability of OpenBSD on Sparc Ultra hardware .. *yet*. :-)
>
> Will let you know once my cable modem is up.  Have Ultra 5 and a spare hard
> drive to experiment with.

Had to dig back through the archives to find this, but I think it is
safe to say that it is finally safe for UltraSPARC owners to dip their
toes in OpenBSD waters.  Back when this thread was active, IMHO OpenBSD
was not "there" yet on UltraSPARC.  3.1 was a stellar leap in the zen
between hardware & software.

It's been on my Ultra 5 for a couple of weeks now and running very very
well.  My gripes have primarily been with third party applications that
don't compile right on a 64 bit architecture, but that's not OpenBSD's
fault.