[rescue] quiet SPARCstation

Carl-Johan Schenstrom cjs at bluebox.pp.se
Wed Jun 19 17:45:02 CDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 07:24:26PM +0200, Carl-Johan Schenstrom wrote:
> > > Can I get more details on this?  My 170E has the heatsink+fan and it didn't
> > > turn at first... and the 2 ultras in "the haul" have the fans too...
> > > makes me nervous as I've heard it causes cpu failures.
> > My 170E has been running for a year and a half, possibly longer but that's
> > how long it's been in my posession, without the fan and hasn't shown any
> > signs of failure yet. I actually bought a new fan but hasn't replaced it
> > yet. =)
>
> I tried to get a fan on one of mine replaced by our local Sun SE about a
> year ago - he tried to order the fan, but they were no longer in stock /
> backordered.. so he just "rigged" a fan from an old PC heatsink/cpu module,
> since thats basically the same thing.

I tried that on mine as well but the fan was just a tiny bit too large
(area-wise), even after drilling away all the excess plastic. It was the
only PC-fan I had, though, there are obviously others that work better. I
wasn't going to buy another PC-fan to find out when I could just add some
cash and get the exact same model that had failed (and then not install
it. Am I lazy or what?).

//cjs