[rescue] Re: lighting vs. computer monitors....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jun 19 15:25:58 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 14:59:37 (-0400), Linc Fessenden wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: computer building? was[rescue] Noise levels
>
> You are not entirely alone there..  I work in my office most of the time
> with the lights off.  I fond the ambient light of my monitors enough to
> work with most of the time.

When computing at night I keep one incandecent 60W desk lamp on and
pointed at the white ceiling.

Once upon a time when I worked with several other programmers in a big
company office and was asked by an office manager what type of lighting
we would like in our new office, we all answered:  "Indirect!"  She
couldn't quite understand why, but gave us our wish.  The new office was
not a bad place to work.  Even though it had no windows the lunch room,
with lots of windows, was just next door, and the boss's office was also
on the outside wall and he didn't mind us spending time in there for
small meetings and such.

I've been told it's not good to work on a monitor without some other
source of light in the room, and my eyes seem to agree if I work
intensely through sunset and don't notice it's dark until after my eyes
are to stressed to see straight....  :-)

(Normally during the day I try to remember to look outside and focus on
something down the street every fifteen minutes or less, and sometimes
I catch something interesting on the street out of the corner of my eye
to remind me to do this!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods