[rescue] quiet SPARCstation

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jun 19 10:45:35 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:55:50AM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Another trick that we used to use at $Old_Work was to put the systems
> underneath the Big Ugly Desks on the floor--anything that helps put
> the high frequency noise generators a little further away and
> direct the noise away from your ear will help somewhat.

One other thing I've done with some boxes, is to put them on stacks of
mousepads or other sorts of "rubber mats".  This reduces any vibrations that
might be amplified by shelving, etc.

I have an U60 that hits a resonant frequency when I put it on a set of plastic
shelving I have (and it gets VERY annoying).  So, I "padded" it with some old
mouse pads.. Wish I could find this type of rubber-foam padding material in
bulk, though.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford