[rescue] Noise levels

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 19 09:58:38 CDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:26:07 +0200 quoth Bjorn Ramqvist <brt at g.haggve.se>

>Bill Bradford wrote:
>>
>> You know you're a geek when:
>>
>> I got tired of $500 electric bills, and called out a HVAC tech/sales guy
>> today.
>
>$500 in electric bills? A month??
>What are you running? A Cray X-MP? :-)

Heh.

In the hot parts of the USA, electric bills that size are depressingly
common in the summer ... and in Texas, where Bill lives, it's "Summer" from
about April to November.  Not to mention that a normal Summer day in Austin
is probably several degrees (C) hotter than the hottest heatwave ever
experienced in Sweden.

And that doesn't take into account the humidity ...

My mother still lives in Atlanta, GA, and her electric bill runs about
US$450 per month in the summer.  No Cray, either. Atlanta gets a lot of
"square" days in the summer, where the temperature (F) and the relative
humidity are the same, like 95/95.  Some are worse, like a week in the early
80s where it was 105/98 for 5 days straight.

Under those conditions, you gladly pay $500 per month for air conditioning.

Of course, where I live now (an all-electric island in Puget Sound, near
Seattle), Summer is the season for low electric bills.  We heat with
electricity (and a little wood), and in the Winter even our little cottage
turns $350 of electrons into accelerated Brownian motion.

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com