[rescue] Noise levels

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 19 09:24:40 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Bill Bradford [mailto:mrbill at mrbill.net]
~ Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 12:44 AM

~ - I need 3.5" more insulation in the attic.  I'm at R10, I need R30
~ - need solar screens on all the sun-facing windows
~ - need new internal HVAC unit (is 31 years old)
~ - need new external HVAC unit (is 8 years old, doesent match internal)
~ - need duct work
~ - need new duct grates, old ones are inefficient
~ - etc.

This sort of stuff makes more difference than one might think. Americans get
pretty lazy about heating since its pretty cheap (unless its electric), but
A/C is always a killer.

I used to think it was best to run high pressure/cold evaporators and keep
airflow low. This makes the coldest air out of the vents. I've since learned
its better to run low pressures/warmer evaporators and use huge airflow. The
vent temp is much lower, but the effect is the same from a human
perspective. It prevents temp "layering" and cools more air and less
building/machinery. It doesn't matter if the building is cool, the air needs
to be cool (unless the walls are truly hot). The end result is huge savings
at the freon compressor motor (and compressor life).