[rescue] quiet SPARCstation

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Jun 19 08:45:13 CDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Katherine Strojny wrote:

> Has anybody put any effort into reducing the noise level on their
> SPARCstation?

> I got to thinking, I want to do something to reduce the dB-age on this SS5
> clone (SS1+ pizza box), like replace the PS fan, for starters.  There's
> also a lower hum from vibration that comes out through the feet and into
> the table.

My experience with the sun4c boxes is that USUALLY [1] it is the hard drive
that is making so much noise.  Heck, even my Ultra 1 got much quieter
when I replaced it's drive with 2 7200rpm IBM drives [2].

Now, I don't know how you shop for quiet drives...  I've found the
quieter ones by sheer luck.

--Kurt

[1] I know sometimes it IS the PSU fan.
[2] Who would've thought that faster drives mean 1/10th the noise?