[rescue] Noise levels

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 18 23:44:16 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:57:36PM -0700, Gary Nichols wrote:
> The rack in my office has two SS5's, a 4U AXi Sun server, 2 2U dual
> intel linux/bsd boxen and a 24-port compaq ethernet switch.  My office
> has wood floors, and it is noticeably noisy in here now that I have the
> entire rack switched on.

You know you're a geek when:

I got tired of $500 electric bills, and called out a HVAC tech/sales guy
today.

He said:

- I need 3.5" more insulation in the attic.  I'm at R10, I need R30
- need solar screens on all the sun-facing windows
- need new internal HVAC unit (is 31 years old)
- need new external HVAC unit (is 8 years old, doesent match internal)
- need duct work
- need new duct grates, old ones are inefficient
- etc.

For around $6K (thank god for trust funds), I'm getting my entire central
heat and air system completely redone.. He said my electric bills should
drop to around $150/month.

My first thought:  "ooh. that means I can afford to run all my sparcs
full time..."

8-)

Bill

--