[rescue] Sick Dreamcast hacker

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jun 18 11:42:04 CDT 2002

The advantage I saw to S100 was that the low speeds and simple bus made
it an interface that anybody could interface any hardware to.  S100 was
a hobbyists dream, it was relatively cheap (the bus, not commercial
cards to stick in the cage) and _anybody_ could do simple programming on
the chips it was designed to work with.

These days there is a high entry threshold for the hardware hacker, at
least to work with current hardware, including surface mount stations,
circuit board equipment (or expensive one item board shops) etc.  You
could make a useful s100 board with a copper clad and a dremel tool, pin
spacing was wide enough to cut pads by hand, you could even wire wrap,
just had to leave an empty slot under the board.  I can't imagine
attempting to wire wrap stuff at 66MHz.

Oh boy, age showing again.

Tim