[rescue] Sick Dreamcast hacker

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 11:07:51 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:07:32PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   CS even makes a single chip 6-channel DAC.  Indeed, the bus
> interfacing would be most of the pain of designing such a board, as
> very highly-integrated chips (like those from CS) are readily
> available.

I didn't know that.

>   As it turns out, I'm no where near that chip's limit...after an
> Express Clue Delivery(tm) from Scott Newell (thanks Scott!) I grabbed
> the SGS-Thompson 74HC123 datasheet, which reads a bit differently from
> the TI datasheet.  The 74HC123 uses a resistor (Rx) and a capacitor
> (Cx) for its timing.  As it turns out, my Cx was *way* too high.  Time
> to spend a little quality time with my HP41.

HP41.  Aren't those rather old?  I guess if it does the job, but then,
don't you have a computer right next to you?

I hear that HP is out of the calculator business now.  That means that
pretty much only TI is left, doesn't it?

There's an idea for a company.  Build a lisp machine out of a FPGA,
then package and sell it as an engineers/scientific/whatever TI killer
calculator.

--
Joshua D. Boyd