[rescue] Sun 4/310

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Jun 16 23:37:52 CDT 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:

>     A guy around here has an untested Sun 4/310 and he says I can have it. I
> can't seem to find any mention of it on the internet after 1995.  I found a
> site with a few basic specs, nothing about the OSes it could run and stuff.
> Can anyone tell me some more about this beast?

4/300 mainboard in a x10 chassis (3 VME slots).

25MHz sun4 architecture.  Early SPARC implementation, comparable in speed
to the SparcStation 1+.  8 30-pin SIMM slots for 8MB or 32MB onboard, plus
any memory expansion on other cards (up to 192MB per card).  Onboard sync
SCSI-II at up to 5MB/s, 4 serial ports, AUI ethernet.  Onboard P4
expansion connector for a framebuffer (keep your eyes peeled for a P4
GX/cg6).

They'll run SunOS 4 up to the latest (4.1.4), Solaris up to 2.4 (SunOS
5.4) and, last I checked, Net/OpenBSD.  Linux support for the sun4 arch
exists but is highly spotty.

Basically, old and relatively power hungry for the CPU power.  It's
probably not the best thing to learn tooling around on Sun hardware as it
doesn't have a modern OpenBoot PROM or the ability to run recent Solaris
revs, but it's still useful.

-James