[rescue] O2's

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jun 16 00:57:07 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 03:00:43PM +1000, Robert Rose wrote:

> Um, lets see.  Mediarecorder, tried a few different nerd-knobs but not had
> much success.  System disk is a 4Gb barracuda, data is a CRD-5000 SCSI-SCSI
> raid controller with 6 x 4Gb 'cudas in a RAID5 stripe (not sure of stripe
> width).  I am considering ditching the system disk and running the whole
> lot off the RAID disk, maybe going to RAID0 if the RAID5 is too sluggish.

Just a quick thought.  Not all RAIDs (especially RAID3s and RAID5s)
are good for video.  A non hardware accelerated RAID0 might help.

I just know that it shouldn't be hard to do a 1:15 ratio (which is a
2M/sec video stream) or whatever the closest setting is on almost any
harddrive setup.

> Several Mediarecorder options don't seem to allow PAL to be selected.  A
> quick test with an NTSC source seems to be a little better.  Maybe time to
> ditch mediarecorder and play with dmrecord ?

I don't think that makes a difference, but I couldn't say for sure.

> >Until I get my own O2 instead of relying on the reports of others and
> >the experience on the school O2 (which could capture video fine
> >despite having only 64megs of ram and a crappy disk, you just needed
> >to crank the compression ratio), I can't help you any more than to say
> >that it is possible, and you shouldn't need to buy anything to make it
> >work. The people in usenet might be more helpfull.
>
> Thanks for that, a quick search of google:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=o2+video+problems
> shows that it's probably just a lack of clue on my behalf.

One note about some suggestions people make about the difference
ICEs.  I doubt which ICE you have and whatever bugs it has would make
much of a difference unless you ICE is outright bad.

Also, my understanding is that all that talk about 2 Gig limits is
crap, but I could be wrong.  When I used O2 video we were using severe
compression on short clips due to an insane disk setup (we had a 2gig
disk with little free space and were supposed to copy stuff to the
onyx via NFS when done working).

--
Joshua D. Boyd