[rescue] Solaris 9 on U1, U5 (was regarding bulk lot purchases (Octanes & Ultras))

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jun 16 00:09:41 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:58:45AM -0400, Katherine Strojny wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Besides, at today's prices, I'd think a U30 would be worth waiting the
> > extra month to afford it (or however long it would take to get an
> > extra $50 to $100).   If not, yeah, go with an Ultra 1.
>
> About how much do U30s go for?  (w/o monitor)

Check ebay, but usually under $300 w/o monitor, and only 128megs of
ram.  Where as U5s appear to me to be $250 to $300, again w/o monitor
and only 128megs.

Maybe you have highly different needs, but the u30 is more expandable,
accepts better graphics cards (while you probably don't need the
fastest 3D, a nice 24bit UPA card would be nicer than the graphics
most U5s come with), and uses SCSI (a major bonus in my book, but
maybe you don't care).

Now, they only go up to 300mhz to my understanding, but I'd be shocked
if Solaris 9 wouldn't run well on one anyway.

--
Joshua D. Boyd