[rescue] R4400 Indigo value

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 15 12:43:53 CDT 2002

on 6/15/02 1:14 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke at jp at celestrion.net wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:
>
>> I am being offered a Indigo R4400 150mhz machine with Elan graphics, a
>> Tape drives, 2 tapes, a CD-Rom drive, 4gb & 3gb hard drives, and a Keyboard
>> and Mouse for $100.(I can pick it up). Am I getting a good deal?
>
> If you're not an SGI person, and have limited interest in becoming one,
> $100 probably isn't a good deal.  The Indigo R4k was a wonderful little
> machine.  The R4.4k systems are almost unheard-of.  Elan is the best gfx
> option they had.
>
> The machine is also about 8 years out-of-date, and will be a little slow
> as an IRIX 6.5 workstation.  It will run 5.3 or 6.2 admirably, though.
>
> It's a toss-up.  If I had the money, it'd be worth $100 to me, because
> it's a prime (and usable) specimen of a wonderful piece of hardware.  But,
> if you're looking for something to use and abuse on a daily basis, the
> bang for the buck really isn't there.
>
> You neglected to mention how much memory is installed in the system.  The
> memory is easily-enough to obtain, but it's not very cheap ($1/MB from
> Reputable, $2/MB or so from anywhere else other than eBay).

This is not my first SGI. I had an Indigo2 two years ago, and I currently
have a Indy R4600SC. I like it a lot and the Indigo is such a pretty
machine. I do plan to use it in 6.5 as a workstation machine... It has 96mb
of RAM, luckly i have 64mb more lying around. I find my R4600SC 133 Indy to
be plenty fast for everyday workstation use, and I think the Indigo would
take over the indy's position with that. I am basically just wondering what
sort of money a similiar configuration would cost on say eBay?

--
Thanks,
Torquil MacCorkle, III