[rescue] SGI 480/S Rescue

Richard.Sandwell at roebry.co.uk Richard.Sandwell at roebry.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 14:28:41 CDT 2002

Gary Huntress wrote :-
>Today I stumbled upon an SGI 480/S Power Series III in the
>hallway with a "dispose" sticker on it. (at first I thought
>it was a new Coke machine!)

>I understand it is an 8 way R3000 system.  Is there any
>chance that this will run any version of linux?  My initial
>research indicates no.

Nope. The only linux ports working at the moment are  the indy - that has
an  xwindows server, and the Indigo 2 - but thats console only. The 480/S
has the same architecture as the Indigo R3000 (IP12??) and although I did
hear tell that someone had booted a kernel, it has been left by the
wayside.  Which is a shame because all the early SGI machines would make
great linux boxes if only SGI would release some more of the h/ware specs
to the community :-(

//Rich

"Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are quick to anger and
have no need for subtlety"