[rescue] Wanted: cheap 1U box

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jun 14 16:51:17 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, June 14, 2002 at 16:11:37 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Wanted: cheap 1U box
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 05:07:42PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Just as with "cheap, fast, reliable: pick two", rackmount cases come in
> > "cheap, 1U: pick one"  :-)
> > A decent 1U ATX case _without_ PS can run $400 or more if it has decent
> > internal mounting options, good air-flow design, and such.  Any PS small
> > enough for a 1U chassis and with any oompf at all will only cost more
> > too.
>
> *blink*
>
> Okay, ignore the "decent".  I need "small ATX case".

OK  :-)

> Frys has 1U rackmount cases for like $199-299 I thought, but the board
> i'm putting in a case isnt worth that...

Sorry, I should have qualified that as $CAD.  $200 USD == ~$310 CAD today

You'll probably pay a lot less (~1/3 less) for 2U, and 4U will be about 1/2.

a 1U ATX PS will be expensive, a 2U less expensive, and a standard ATX
PC powersupply is practically free (used at least ;-)

I bought a really quite good 4U ATX steel case (w/out sliders) with a
300W PS, fans, filters, and all mounting hardware included for $300CAD
about two years ago.....  At the same time local retailers had 2U
chassis without PS or fans for about $395 or more.

I put a $99 CPU+MB and some essentially "free" RAM, ethernet, and
display adapter, along with a pair of $100 disks, into my $300 chassis
and I felt good about doing so (though I'm worried now there may be
something flaky with it or the RAM).  The chassis+PS will long outlive
the usefulness of the CPU+MB anyway.

--
								Greg A. Woods