[rescue] re: Alphaserver 300 or 400?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jun 14 13:53:37 CDT 2002

On 2002.06.14 17:11 wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:

> Alas, my error. It is the 21064. Still more than good enough for my
> needs.
Even with a EV4 266MHz CPU it will fly. Not supersonic, but fast enough.
;-)

> True, but 72 pin partity simms aren't that expensive so I may take it
I have EPayed a PC164 board this week, 533MHz 21164. It is not in my
hands yet, but I think this will be realy speedy. I have to get 8
identical PS/2 SIMMs to get the advantage of the 256 bit memory bus.
This can be a challenge...

> Haven't had a chance to power it up to test the console. The manual
> describes switching from ARC to SRM if needed though.
OK. So you can run on it what ever you like.

> As for the video, the manual describes configuring the SRM for that
> card, so I am hoping that VMS/True64 support it.
That isn't the problem. The console will run with any generic PeeCee
VGA. The firmware has a i386 emulator build in to drive the VGA BIOS!
(in theory) But you may have trouble to get more than 640x480 at 4 bit
planes out of it under DECwindows / X11.
[....]
Ahh. Tru64 supports some MACH64 models, so VMS may do also.
--

tsch,
         Jochen