[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jun 13 22:25:06 CDT 2002

>> You know, I could probably score enough LSI-11 bits & pieces to build up a
>> working system...but what would you use such a thing for?
>
>*blink*
>
>How dare you.
>
>Get off my list.  Now. 8-)

So I'm a stark raving idiot!  I've read through most of the LSI-11 docs
that came with the old iron, and I've got the XINU book.  From those, I
formed a mental picture of a machine with <64kB address space, a serial
port, a paper tape interface, and the ODT.  To me, that sounds kinda like
an old C-64, TRS-80, or S-100 bus system.  I'd consider stuff like that
collectable (hell, I'd still like to have an HP-85), but that's a lot of
heat and space for what sounds like an awfully slow and limited machine.

Is my mental picture of the LSI-11 completely wrong?

newell