[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 12 19:38:21 CDT 2002

On June 10, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > I don't think I've ever heard Dave suggest that we try to use a -8 for
> > real work in this day and age.
>
> Depends on your definition of "real work".  I know of many factories and
> shop floors that are still using -8s and -11s, because THEY WORK AND DONT
> CRASH.  Why change something that works just fine?

  Indeed.  And some of them are even using BRAND NEW -11s.  Rumors of
their demise have been greatly exaggerated, or so they say.

  The extent to which Microsoft's marketing pollutes [otherwise smart]
peoples' minds is astounding, and somewhat sad.  Remember...anything
that isn't running on a Windows PC is "legacy" and "proprietary".
After all, the Intel architecture is an open standard, right?  (ahem,
anybody ever hear of IEEE 1754?)  And Windows source code is easy to
get, right?  Heh.

  I'm sure not going to trust MY business to two companies' proprietary,
incompatible-with-the-rest-of-the-world products.

  [whew, I feel better now!]

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "*BURRRP!*  Mmm...tastes like cannoli,
St. Petersburg, FL                    smells like garlic!" -Sridhar