[rescue] Sigh

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed Jun 12 16:45:05 CDT 2002

> If you love someone, you can live with them.  There is no such thing as a
> "magical marriage"..  All marriages require work and compromise to be
> successful.  That's the biggest problem marriages face now - devorce is
> too convenient and people don't *have* to work out their differences.  The
> relationship can never grow without a little adversity - builds character
> in a person and in a marriage too.
Umm, I'm going to have to say that "it builds character" is a really lousy
reason to stay in an unhappy relationship.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely that Divorces are way, way
too easy to obtain, and people rush into marriage way, way to fast these
days.  I feel that getting married is a commitment that lasts a lifetime.
Otherwise, you could elect for the 3, 5 or 7 year marriage plan right?

My Wife and I dated for a year, then lived together for two years before we
decided to get married.  However, I think we would have come to the same
conclusion if we had simply dated for 3 years.  We are commited to each
other, and a relationship has to be built on that part first and foremost.
After all, no amount of romance can survive unscarred after the first time
your spouse comes in and uses the commode while you're taking a shower.

Build the relationship however you want, but build it first... then get
married if it's still what you want.

George
(married, for better AND for worse for 14 Years)