[rescue] SGI Onyx KONA backplane upgrade?... help!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 11 14:09:55 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:55:21PM -0400, Corda Albert J DLVA wrote:
> I just came across a KONA backplane that I'd like
> to put in my Onyx VTX.  As I don't have a IR graphics
> cardset yet, I want to keep the machine at VTX graphics...
>
> I did a deja search, but I still have a few questions...
>
> What I've found via google and Simon Pigot's website, etc.
> seems to indicate that systems were shipped with KONA
> backplanes and VTX/RE2 Graphics. This implies to me that
> I can (and should?) still use the original 505 and 512
> power boards (for VTX/RE2) from the non-KONA backplane
> in the KONA backplane. Whats bothering me is that while
> installing the KONA backplane I noticed that it provides
> some extra power connector "studs" between the power board
> slots.  Will these interfere with the installation 505 and
> 512 power boards in the KONA backplane? Do I have to find/use
> a set of 303/305 and 512T power boards to make this work?
>
> Also, if I do have to install the 303/305 and 512T, will it fry my
> VTX (soon to be RE2 :-) cardset?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on these issues? Please?

I don't know a single thing about the VTX.

I think that RE2 is supposed to just work on the KONA backplane set up
for IR. I don't remeber hearing that KONA-RE2 machines required
anything other than a swap of the GE, DG, and RM boards to upgrade to
KONA-IR.  However, for piece of mind, the guys at
http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/OnyxRealityEngine2.html
should be able to answer your questions definatively.

--
Joshua D. Boyd