[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Mon Jun 10 09:33:18 CDT 2002

> > Interesting, and consistent with what I had found--I just hadn't
> > put all the pieces together.  I can see why an electric
> > heating appliance would need a cord/plug rated for higher temps
> > (and therefore de-rated on current)...but does a VAX 4500 really
> > get that hot?
>
> No, of course not. Such cables are just made of thicker gauge wire stock to
> begin with, and at least in some countries (the UK, if memory serves me) with
> fuses typically in the plugs instead of (or additionally to) a central fuse
> board, such cables will have a higher fuse rating.

Plugs are fused in addition to the main fuseboard.

> lights flickering before a major grounding upgrade.

Heh, in that student's union building, our amp racked floated by a few
V. One or two of us got a hefty belt from the chassis. Floating earth
is not polite.

Then there were the live male terminals at the back. ( 3 pin
connectors, usually seen as balanced inputs for pro-audio ) I avoided
them like the plague. a 600W per channel amp will make you say a lot
of things if you get your hands on the wrong bit.

S.

--
Steven Hill
Systems Administrator