[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jun 10 08:36:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On June 7, Mike Katchabaw wrote:
> > >
> > > On closer inspection, and an attempt to plug a cord into it, I noticed
> > > an extra metallic tab in the outlet.  This tab would require the power
> > > cable to have a notch in it to fit correctly, and would have an end
> > > like:
> >
> > This is a heavier-duty IEC power connector.
>
> The ones with the notch are normally found on electric kettles over this
> side of the Atlantic, hence the generic use of `kettle lead' for all IEC
> [computer] power leads.

The IEC 320 C15-16 socket (with the notch) has a higher temperature rating
(120C per UL) but a lower current rating (10A vs 15A for the C13-14
unnotched cable, again per UL).  This information could be outdated.

> Dave, what's the third type?

C19-20, 20 amps, 65C.  My UPS uses one and some higher power computer
equipment that needs removable power cords does as well.  Three
horizontal blades in the connector, it looks like this: