[rescue] WTB: 1x-8x 50pin external CD-rom (512b)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Sun Jun 9 06:15:19 CDT 2002

Torquil MacCorkle III wrote:

>     I would like to pickup a 1-8x 50pin(like on the IPX and Indy) external
> CD-rom(512b)(with cabling if possible). Let me know.

If you are booting any Sun that accepts a "boot cdrom" command, just about
ANY SCSI Toshiba drive will work without changing jumpers, setting switches,
etc. (also the SONY Apple drives e.g. CD300, but not CD300+, a panasonic drive).

The reason is that the boot rom sends a SCSI command to switch to 512 byte
blocks and Toshiba and Sony drives honor it.

N.B. NO NEC drives do.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.