[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jun 8 10:58:29 CDT 2002

On June 7, Mike Katchabaw wrote:
> On closer inspection, and an attempt to plug a cord into it, I noticed
> an extra metallic tab in the outlet.  This tab would require the power
> cable to have a notch in it to fit correctly, and would have an end
> like:
>
>      ___
>     / _ |
>    /   _|
>    | - L
>    \  _ |
>     \___|
>
> The computing center still has a VAX 4500 in operation, and it
> requires exactly such a cord.  There is no contact point for the tab
> on the cord, and the whole outer casing is the usual rubber stuff.

  This is a heavier-duty IEC power connector.  There are three common
varieties of IEC power cable...the one we're all used to, this one on
your VAX, and the kind you'll find on some larger Cisco routers and
SGI deskside Challenge and Onyx systems, which are larger and square.
These are standard cables (though not as common as the light-duty
variety) and can be found with a little digging.

  DEC overspecs their stuff to a ridiculous degree...that VAX will never
pull anywhere near enough current to warrant the use of that
connector.  You can notch a "regular" one to fit in there and you'll
do fine.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "*BURRRP!*  Mmm...tastes like cannoli,
St. Petersburg, FL                    smells like garlic!" -Sridhar