[rescue] Sigh

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jun 7 16:25:15 CDT 2002

On 6 Jun 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I was talking to somebody on #geeks the other day about SGI stuff, and
> where different things fit into the SGI lineup.  Like, the Indy was a
> low-end machine, kind of in the same venue as the SS5, Ultra 5, or the
> Blade 100.  Where's the O2 compete?  I2?

I would say:

Indy analogous to Sparc 5.  Low cost personal workstation, later revs got
pretty fast (Indy/R5k analogous to SS5/170).  Same timeframe.

Green I2 roughly analogous to SS20.  Similar timeframe, expandability
increased etc.  Main differences are that I2 had much better graphics
capability, SS20 had greater CPU capability (though the later R10k I2's
caught up).  I2 in theory had nice expandability but supported EISA cards
rare and high end gfx blocked some slots.

Purple I2 more similar to Ultra 1.  Faster CPU's available, much faster
graphics available.  More 64-bitness.

O2 kind of like U10 or U30.  Faster, good gfx, PCI bus.  This is probably
the most imprecise comparison, O2 is a very special box.  It is certainly
far superior to the U10 in terms of design but doesn't have the I/O bus
capability of the U30.

Octane analog has to be U60.

Onyx and Challenge don't have real analogues in the Sun world,
unfortunately.

-James