[rescue] Itanium 2

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Jun 6 10:00:58 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:55:16AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > SGI used to make the SGI 750, which was a UP/DP Itanium box.  They would
> > > sell it to you fully loaded with dual 733MHz chips and 2GB of memory for
> > > only $19k.  But they EOLed it with the rest of the Intel group.  It was a
> > > half-hearted sort of workstation, using only ATI graphics and SGI's
> > > distribution of Linux--which you were expected to fork over $495 for.
> >
> > HP and IBM both sell Itaniums.
>
>   I think you mean "HP and IBM both have Itaniums for sale."  Nobody is
> actually *buying* them.
>
>       -Dave

Ayup.  The only people I know using the original Itaniums are people who
were given them *explicitly* for the sake of future development work.  I
didn't think the Itanium 2's were for sale yet, I'll have to check.

And I think even the original SGI box was the identical unit like the rest
of the crowd.  I remember the original announcements in Desktop Engineering
- they had product announcements for the first-gen Itanium workstations from
HP & Dell side-by-side and it was obvious from the photo that everything
down to the case was exactly the same.  I believe Intel completely and
utterly underwrote those original boxes, down to building them and stamping
who's ever logo on them they conned into trying to sell them :)

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions