[rescue] Re: ST19171WC ?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Jun 1 15:20:00 CDT 2002

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Leslie Connally wrote:

> Are these totally crap?  shouldnt I buy a few @ 15.00?  I bet they run hot
> or something, but hell I've run the ST15150  ppssssttt.. OW!!!

They're good drives. The capacity to volume/space ratio isn't as good as
newer drives (9gb half height) but the price is definitely better (36gb
for $150 vs 9gb for $15? Doh.). Also, with the right firmware these drives
will work in a SCSI-based Netapp.

The cheap ones I've seen and bought have EMC firmware and ID as SX19171WC
on the SCSI chain even though there is no EMC or SX identification on the
outside. The SX will work fine in other SCSI systems (Sun, PC, DEC,
etc...) but will not work in a Netapp.

--Rob