[rescue] DEC InfoServer 1000

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jul 31 22:57:09 CDT 2002

> This is somewhat off-topic but I'll ask anyway.
>
> I just picked up a DEC InfoServer 1000.  It has all the
> sleds and it powers up fine. I can connect via serial
> console and use the default password to get in.

Is this an InfoServer 1000 mounted in an InfoTower 1000,
or an InfoServer SW1000 in a StorageWorks shelf?

> The only details I can find so far details using it a  CD server for
> VMS.  Wasn't there also a way to set it up as OS independent??

There are/were clients for OpenVMS, Digital Unix (and Tru64
V4.x), Ultrix (both VAX and MIPS), DOS, NT, MacOS, and DEC
X terminals.

The InfoServers use LAD/LAST protocols, which are licensed.

There is an InfoServer emulator for OpenVMS/Alpha, but the
emulator has not been released at this time.

I use an InfoTower 1000 to keep most of the OpenVMS ConDist
online.  I also used to use an InfoServer 1000 connected to
a StorageWorks shelf with CDROM SBBs to keep the OpenVMS
Source Listings online, but I've copied them over to local
disks for better speed.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net