[rescue] worth it for the disks?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 31 19:26:12 CDT 2002

On July 31, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > I have seen offset duplicators whamming out copy at >100ppm, and that is
> > fast.  That is also a cakewalk compared to scanning, which requires all
> > the paper handling skills, along with cameras and a backend big enough
> > to get the data out of the way.  And if the printer chokes you lose a
> > bunch of blank paper, if that scanner chokes you better have another
> > copy, because it just became a shredder.  The only possible target for a
> > gadget like that is government.  Even a big company can't generate
> > enough paper to justify an archival system like that.
>
> Gah, and I would KILL for one of the nicer older color 300dpi HP
> color scanners.. I've got a 7450C, but it feels so CHEAP...

  I got a Scanjet 4C from a surplus house a few years ago for $15.00.
It was one of the best purchases I've ever made.  It's built like a
tank, much MUCH more solid than anything else I've seen with the
exception of an older Agfa unit whose chassis is an aluminum casting.
(no shit, a CASTING!).

  I had a Scanjet 5P before this one...While scanning, I could pick it
up and TWIST THE CHASSIS between my hands while it's scanning and
introduce image distortions.  This 4C on the other hand, I can pick it
up and DROP IT from 4" above the table and it won't so much as move a
pixel

  Get a 4C cheap on eBay or something, and guard it like a fiend!

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "...it's all pants, all the time."
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Joshua Boyd