[rescue] Question: VME SBC on EBay

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Wed Jul 31 13:05:41 CDT 2002

mcguire at neurotica.com writes:

>On July 31, dave at cca.org wrote:

>> Telco used to be mostly VME, though they're probably going
>> CompactPCI now.

>  I doubt they're moving to CompactPCI that quickly...if you've seen
>evidence to the contrary I'm all ears, but I'd be quite surprised.
>Telcos don't change major aspects of their architecture very often.

No, just a wild guess. Actually, any niche that has a lot of
custom boards is going to move slowly, and that certainly
applies to telco.

>  The Summa VCO-4K, a modern, fairly popular small central office
>switch, uses a pair of VME SPARC-5 computers to do SS7 processing and
>switch control.

The fact that 6U VME stuff is rediculously expensive on the used
market indicates a lot.

(Dammit.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
---------- "Anything Jesus can do, I can do better." - The Locust ----------