[rescue] Question: VME SBC on EBay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 31 12:44:58 CDT 2002

On July 31, dave at cca.org wrote:
> >Other than  the move to 6U, how has it changed?  What's the bus
> >bandwidth on a modern system?  And where is VME used these days other
> >than SBCs and embeded systems?
>
> "embedded systems" comprise most computers systems, don't they?

  By far, yes.  I read an article about two years ago (which I just
reread a week or two ago) that indicated that 8051-architecture
microcontrollers, for example, were being produced in numbers in
excess of one million chips PER DAY.  And that was just
8051-derivatives...a 20+-year-old architecture that lots of embedded
developers don't like.

> Telco used to be mostly VME, though they're probably going
> CompactPCI now.

  I doubt they're moving to CompactPCI that quickly...if you've seen
evidence to the contrary I'm all ears, but I'd be quite surprised.
Telcos don't change major aspects of their architecture very often.

  The Summa VCO-4K, a modern, fairly popular small central office
switch, uses a pair of VME SPARC-5 computers to do SS7 processing and
switch control.

> The military loves VME.

  Yes.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                  "This isn't loose...I play hard to get!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Sridhar