[rescue] UPS rescue, now what?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jul 31 09:07:20 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:53:59 -0700
Koyote <koyote at koyote.cx> wrote:

> I'm inan aprtment, and while I could do some wiring if I was
> unobtrusive, I'm a bit limited.  OTOH, I seem to have some excess amps
> in the line to the little used stove- which *also* happens to be
> physically less than 3 meters of wire from the most convenient server
> rack location.
>
> I suppose I *could* piggback

well, how much do you use the stove?  A full electric stove/oven can
approach circuit limit if you light up all the burners and the oven at
once.  Of course most people seldom do that.  And the UPS will most
likely not approach its maximum under normal circumstances, that maximum
has to be rated for full load plus full charge, and hopefully it will
never be charging.  It is completely out of code to hang something off a
stove circuit, but if it were me that's what I probably would do.
besides, with that kind of UPS, if you have to unplug it to cook
thankgiving dinner it will keep a bit of hardware up for quit a while.
:-)

Tim