[rescue] Ultra?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 31 08:53:10 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:19:16AM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> Everyone wrote:
>
> >U5/U10 - SUCK
>
> Gah! What other ultrasparc are you going to get so cheap? A bootable
> SCSI card for it should run under $100, and probably less. My U10/440
> w/SCSI and Creator 3D kicks major ass, and I'm quite happy with it. The
> case design leaves quite a bit to be desired, but I don't open it up
> that much.
>
> Yes, I'd love to have UltraSPARC SMP, but I'll hold out for an 80 for
> that. I have a quad SS20 on my desk at home that I won't give up 'till I
> find something else that'll do three heads.
>
> Buncha snobs.

Ahem.  The cost of U5s and U30s is quite close.  Add on a $100 SCSI
card, and U30s will quite often been cheaper.  Scanning over ebay,
kinda nice U10s (if you call no scsi kinda nice, and sub 350 mhz to
also be nice) seem to be $350+. U5s seem to be going for about $250+
(and the $250 machines seem to be sub 300mhz, and again no SCSI).
Where as U30s definately is available for $350 to $400 (again, not
with the fastest CPUs possible, but better than the cheapest, although there
aren't as many on ebay as there used to be.

On a side note, U60s are coming down.  Some fetch a high price still,
but then there are machines like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042789873
for only $900, and similar ones elsewhere for a shade less.

--
Joshua D. Boyd