[rescue] Re: Re: Ultra?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jul 30 16:38:29 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Tim H. wrote:

> Robert Novak <rnovak at indyramp.com> wrote:
>
> > Another note on the various models is that the memory limitations are
> > different. U1/U5/U10/AXi max out at 1GB, U2/U30 at 2GB. Mind you, you
> > may never need 2GB for a casual home machine, but it's good to know
> > these things.
>
> I love this list, you notice Rob says "_may_ never need" knowing
> perfectly well that there are people on this list who do need it.
> That's a nice contrast to "upgradeable to 512M, all you _will_ ever
> need" or similar that gets said by PeeCee experts all the time.

I know there are people who need it, and people who don't need it but want
it. I fall into the latter myself.

	banner:   Sun Ultra 60 UPA/PCI (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz)
	model:    Ultra-60
	Sun development name: Deuterium (U60), Razor (220R)
	Solaris 9 s9_58shwpl3 SPARC, 64-bit kernel, SunOS 5.9
	2 UltraSPARC-II cpus, cpu freq: 450MHz, system freq: 113MHz
	CPU Units:
	========================= CPUs =========================
	                    Run   Ecache   CPU    CPU
	Brd  CPU   Module   MHz     MB    Impl.   Mask
	 0     0     0      450     4.0   US-II    10.0
	 0     2     2      450     4.0   US-II    10.0

	empty sockets: None
	total memory = 2048MB (2GB)

It's a double-headed elite3d-m3 machine and currently has serial console
running to a laptop. I haven't decided whether to make it a server or a
desktop or both... need space on my desks for a pair of monitors first.

--Rob