[rescue] Re: intel vs. sun- for real

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 30 12:58:29 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> Oog.  SSH is really going to punish the sparcs...  they don't
> have the hardware bit rotate the x86 have (well, had until P4).

Really?  They took that out?  I missed that little tidbit.  So much for
all those wankers that buy a really f-ing fast x86 box just to run dnetc.

> That is probably contributing to your load problems.  A crypto
> accelerator would help, except I don't know of any version of
> SSH that will use them directly (except perhaps under OpenBSD,
> and then probably only on x86)

The new Sun crypto accelerators interface with OpenSSL 0.96, so OpenSSH
would probably see some benefit.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "gnu: we aim to fuck up everything with the potential to not suck"