[rescue] Re: Re: Ultra?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jul 30 12:36:28 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, James Lockwood wrote:

> The Ultra 30 is certainly not "PC-ish".  As I remember, it was the first
> machine supporting 64-bit/66MHz PCI to ship in quantity, from any vendor.
> The Ultra 60 is basically a 30 with a second processor slot and SCSI
> chain, plus the ability to use bigger cache CPU modules.

Yep. Also, the U30 is really the only one in the list that can be easily
upgraded. I recently (last month) took a U30, swapped the board for a
$300-on-ebay U60/AXdp board, and ended up with a very sweet Ultra 60 for
about 1/8 of Sun's current list price.

> U2 vs U30 would be a tough choice.  If I thought I needed more CPU power,
> I'd steer towards the U2.  If I thought I needed more I/O (especially SCSI
> channels), I'd steer towards the U30.  If I thought I needed better/faster
> graphics, I'd steer towards the U30 (it's the only one on the list with
> two UPA slave slots for framebuffers).

The one possible consideration on some of these is what cards you already
have. If you don't have a pile of Sun cards of any sort, then it's not an
issue. But if you have a handful of SCSI cards of either bus, for example,
it's worth a thought.

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Robert Novak wrote:
>
> > One other type of system to consider is the AXi-based system. Some (myself
> > included) have called it "what the Ultra 10 should have been"... it's a
> > U10-class Sun OEM board with SCSI, pretty much. You should be able to find
> > a complete system on ebay for $300-500 and you can expand later to a
> > 440mhz cpu, while having the comfort of SCSI.
>
> Basically a U10 with dual onboard UW SCSI, more PCI slots (6 on 2 busses),
> ATX form factor, the ability to use PS/2 keyboards and mice (as well as
> Sun ones) and no onboard audio.  Oh, and subtlely different RAM
> compatibility.

Yeah, the memory differences can bite. I keep forgetting about the PCI
buses. :)

--Rob