[rescue] Ultra?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 30 10:01:34 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:55:23AM -0400, robert brooke gravitt wrote:

> Ultra 1, 2, 5, 10 or 30?
>
> I'm pretty sure I know what the majority opinion is (the ultras 5,10&30 are
> not as nice due to PCI -vs- SBUS, & other generally PC-ish qualities)

I have no problem with PCI.

In short, U1s are nice, but very low end.  U2s are potentially faster
than anything else on that list due to taking two processors instead
of only one.  But they are aging and are quite possibly the most
expensive machine on the list, and aren't able to take advantage of
PCI upgrades, so you are limited to the Sbus ones you can find, which
in my opinion are showing some age.  The u5s and 10s are to be avoided
in my book.  U30s are fast and cheap these days.  That would be my
recommendation, but all are probably fun (well, after giving them a
proper scsi setup).

--
Joshua D. Boyd