[rescue] VMS (was: Amsterdam)

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Tue Jul 30 08:52:50 CDT 2002

On 30-Jul-2002 Big Endian wrote:
>>  > > > (Seriously) Where would be the best place to get VMS for Alpha?
>>>  > > I have an AS600 I'd like to give it a try on.
>>>  > >
>>>  > > and how painfull is it getting it to speak TCP/IP?
>>>  >
>>>  > Ditto!  I have a 3000/300 I would love to get VMS onto..
>>>
>>>  The place to get VMS for the Alpha is to get the hobbyist license.
>>>  This will set you back just about $100 supposedly.  <snip>
>>>
>>>  But to be nice, visit here: http://www.encompassus.org/membership/ and
>>>  go on from there.
>>
>>So, is this "hobbyist license" node-locked, or single-cpu only, or two-user
>>only, or otherwise crippled in some fashion?
>
> time limited.  Its a (renewable) 1 year license.

That is a bit of a nuisance, particularly since you never know what company VMS
will belong to next year - but just count your blessings. It was amazing enough
whent the hobbyist program was inaugurated, and it's become a pretty sweet deal
with a whole load of layered products also part of the scheme. Updating the
PAKs is easy enough, you simply have to mark your calendar to get the new ones.

And best of all, DECUS in Germany is still, well, DECUS. When the Q wanted to
change this, the DECUS membership basically told em' to shove it. I guess they
had better things to do than risk a riot of Stubborn Old Coots (TM), so DECUS
it stayed.

--

        later,
        Stephen