[rescue] VMS (was: Amsterdam)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 30 00:26:59 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:59:02AM -0400, George Adkins wrote:

> > > Ditto!  I have a 3000/300 I would love to get VMS onto..
> >
> > The place to get VMS for the Alpha is to get the hobbyist license.
> > This will set you back just about $100 supposedly.  <snip>
> >
> > But to be nice, visit here: http://www.encompassus.org/membership/ and
> > go on from there.
>
> So, is this "hobbyist license" node-locked, or single-cpu only, or two-user
> only, or otherwise crippled in some fashion?

That I can't say for sure, but my impression is that it isn't single
CPU.  Also, my understanding is that it would be more accurate to
say that the license is free but DECUS (OK, I know I just said they
were named something else now, but I don't remeber what that name was)
membership isn't.  So whether it is one multi machine, non node locked
license, or $x (for any value of $x you want) node locked licenses
doesn't matter, does it?  I believe Brian was using the hobbiest
license for the Vax cluster he built.

But, of course, the authoratative source is DECUS.  Especially since
this is just my memory of what various articles said, not to mention
what was said ever other month when the topic comes up again.

--
Joshua D. Boyd