[rescue] techie BSD-related q (*BSD)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Mon Jul 29 23:54:12 CDT 2002

OK, this is off-topic, but marginally related.

I am doing some testing on disk IO and other performance measurements
with various systems.

Turns out that using the load average is bad, since it is calculated
differently for EACH OS.  That is, a load average of 1.0 under Linux
is not equivalent to a load average of 1.0 under OpenBSD on the exact
same machine.

I have been looking at vmstat, which measures disk in terms of "disk
transactions".  But, I have not been able to find out what "disk
transaction" means, exactly.

Dave M? James L or S?  Who knows how vmstat calculates disk IO?

./patrick