[rescue] Wow, 30k Graphics Card From Sun

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jul 27 11:46:02 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:04:54 -0500
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> > > business in the early 80's. In 88 or so, some very bright Korean
> > > gentleman had the idea of tracking down whoever held the rights to
> > > the name, buying it, and Presto! having a very recognizable
> > > company name
>
> ---snip---
>
> >   But, it's a pretty slimy thing to do.
>
> The sleaziest bit was their company slogan: "America grew up listening
> to us.  It still does."  The sleazy suit did his homework, which is
> more than can be said for most.

I had always thought that he had just picked the name out of the air
from successful American names such as HP, Bell Telephone, Bell and
Howell, etc.  that impression was reinforced by the placards that had to
be displayed everywhere that sold their PC that stated they were in no
way afilliated with HP etc. I didn't know of the earlier Packard Bell.

If that is the case was Packard Bell originally formed by anybody
related to the other companies?

Tim