[rescue] All this talk of X Terminals has me wondering...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Sun Jul 28 02:32:04 CDT 2002

James Lockwood wrote:

> This is only the case with the SparcClassic X.  The Sparc Xterminal 1
> used a different board than every other Sun system.

Thanks, I did not know about this one.

> With a bit of work, you can use them as regular systems.  You're stuck
> with either netbooting or putting a SCSI card into the Sbus slot, though.

Netbooting is good. Netbooting is your friend. But never, never, never try to
netboot a system that does not use BootP or DHCP from a Linux system.

Early* SUN machines netbooted by using reverse ARP, which is one of those
things that works on Linux until you try to use it.

Geoff.

* The ones that I've tried were an SS1 and ELC's. So I assume that includes all
of the SUN2/SUN3's IPC's, IPX's, etc.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.