[rescue] Gah, why don't they just give them away?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 27 12:52:50 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 06:18:27PM +0200, jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> On 27 Jul, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > I was more interested in how it feels, not benchmarks.
> Get one and touch it. ;-)

/me hears the space odyssey theme

> How fast it feels depends on you, as this is very subjective. I have a
> 150 MHz R4400 Indigo2, 128MB RAM, Extreme GFX. For me it feels fast
> enough to do some work with it. So I expect that a R10K Octane, even
> with only 175 MHz, will satisfy all _my_ computing needs.
> If you are used to a 2.5 GHz PeeCee or 1 GHz G4 Mac it will be slow as
> a snail.

I've got an R10k I HI and I do just about everything on it.
I was used to a Piii at 550 (with GL and 256M ECC ram and whatnot) and I do
miss having galeon instead of mozilla but otherwise I love this.

--
I have been rather concerned about an ever-increasing attitude that
due to the risk of foot injury, guns must be redesigned.