[rescue] Wow, 30k Graphics Card From Sun

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Fri Jul 26 16:20:30 CDT 2002

>On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 04:13:12PM -0400, George Adkins wrote:
>>  That's because the Indigo2 was a better machine.
>>  The fact that an o2 can render with hundreds of megs of textures better than
>>  the Octane is an accident of it's cheesy design.
>>
>>  What good is hundreds of megs of main memory taken out of use to store
>>  textures anyway when the 3d performance is nonexistent/poor?
>
>To be honest, my question for the O2-savvy among us concerns its
>memory architecture in terms of SQL database performance.  Would it be
>faster in any way due to its design over say a R10K based I2?

The O2 has a 2.1gb/sec i/o bandwidth.  This is compared to the ?
(lower but not sure exact numbers here) bandwidth on the I2.  I2 also
can only hold a max of 640(768mb?) of ram, O2 can hold 1gb.  However
if your database can support SMP (oracle?) then the Octane or other
larger sgi systems becomes more attractive.

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."