[rescue] Wow, 30k Graphics Card From Sun

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Fri Jul 26 14:48:12 CDT 2002

>  > > > And different skins! Look, purple!
>>  >
>>  > Figures, they go and despoil the image of the Indigo by re-using it's
>>  > case color on a P.O.S. machine like that...  What a dissapointment.
>>
>>  The only thing POS about the O2+ is that it basically wasn't any
>>  better than the O2.  It's not like they went and put that case color
>>  on a new Indy type machine.
>
>Ummm, what do you think the O2 is?  an Onyx?

No.  But the O2 isn't a 3d machine.  Its a media machine.  Video,
audio and applying that to graphics.  They are kick ass for the kind
of work they do, but they are *NOT* for intense or even moderate 3d
work.

>As far as my opinion goes, the O2 *is* in the same class as an indy.

In many cases you are correct.  The 32bit ness of the box, the low to
no 3d capabilities.  How ever the O2 far out classes the indy in its
chosen field: video due to higher bandwidth and the ICE chip.

>it's the 'Packard Bell" of the sgi line in it's timeframe.

Packard Bell is known for shitty, low quality hardware.  The O2,
while not having the horsepower you want, is not a "low quality"
machine.  More reasonable to say it is the 486 SX of its time.

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."